Writing a book might seem like an overwhelming idea and the most complicated thing in the world, but it doesn’t have to be – with an idea to start with and a good system in place, anyone can write a book.
Writing and publishing your own book is an enormous accomplishment, a great ego boost and one of the greatest validations that you can hope for, there’s no doubt about it. And if you want to be regarded as an expert in your field, there’s no better way to do it than by having your own book.
Don’t be scared by time and don’t think that you can’t write a book. I personally believe that anyone can write a good book – and fast. And I’ll show you some tips that will help you do just that.
1. Set a time limit. Decide on a date by when you want your book to be finished and don’t accept anything less from yourself. Of course, make sure it is a realistic time period, and you definitely have enough time to finish your book by then. And tell all of your friends on Facebook and Twitter followers about your plan – knowing that everybody knows about your plans and that they might ask about your progress could really help motivate you.
2. Write down your strategy. After you’ve decided what the topic of your book will be, you should start strategizing. Write down all of the messages for your chapters and make notes under each chapter about what exactly you are going to write. You could also set up some daily or weekly deadlines. If you know exactly what you have to do each day, it will be much easier to finish the book by the date you’ve set in the beginning.
3. Research. Do all of your research before you start writing, or leave it all till the end. Try to write down all of your findings in one place, so you won’t need to go back and research constantly while you are writing. This will only distract and take more of your time. You could also set another time limit for your research, just to make sure you don’t get lost in the realm of interesting information that is available on the Internet and in libraries. Also, if you put all of your research in one place and categorize it, then you won’t lose time while you are writing looking for that paragraph in that book or that webpage from that obscure website.
4. Put all of your passion into your book. When you write a book, your readers will notice the heart, the passion and the love you’ve put into it. It probably is a safe assumption to make that when you decide to write a book, you are passionate about it and love the subject – and this will show in your writing. Your readers will feel this passion in every word and it will make your book that much better. People don’t want to read a heartless contract, after all. They are looking for that human touch, for that passion that characterizes us, as humans. When writing your own book you will also convey who you are and your personality in the pages of the book, so when your readers meet you in a social situation or a speaking event they will know that they are meeting the same person they met when reading your book.
5. Stay away from distractions. This can be especially hard, I know. It seems almost impossible not to check the Internet for the latest news, look at the phone to see if anyone tried to contact you in the last two minutes, or just check the time and weather every five minutes. Try to find a quiet place, where there is no Internet and “forget” your phone and your tablet at home.
6. Write anywhere, anytime. Every time you have a free moment, write something down. If you get an idea, wherever you may be, make sure you put it in writing, so you don’t forget it. You should also have a pen and paper ready to use by your bed, so whenever you get an idea while trying to sleep, you can easily jot it down. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gotten ideas at 2 in the morning, but was to lazy to get out of the bed to find something to write them down. And, of course, I always forget them the next day!
I really hope these tips will help you decide to write a book and help you write your best book fast. Let me know in your comments how your writing is going, and whatever problems you are facing! I am here to help!